As a leading SEO company in Halifax, iQlance Solutions is always at the forefront of new technologies and tools that can help our clients succeed online. Google Analytics 4 (GA4) is the latest version of Google’s web analytics platform, designed to provide marketers with deeper insights into their website and app performance. It was launched in October 2020 and replaced the previous Universal Analytics platform. GA4 is built on a new measurement model focusing on event tracking and user behavior analysis. It offers advanced features like cross-device tracking, predictive analytics, and improved data privacy.
At iQlance Solutions, we understand the importance of data-driven insights for businesses. That’s why we recommend using GA4 for our client’s web analytics needs. Let’s take a closer look at what GA4 has to offer.
The new ‘Event + Parameter’ measurement model
The traditional pageview-based tracking model used in Universal Analytics has been replaced by a new ‘Event + Parameter’ measurement model in GA4. This model allows for more flexible tracking of user interactions across multiple touchpoints. It tracks specific user events, such as clicks, page views, video plays, and other custom events.
“With GA4, you can track a wider range of user interactions and define them more precisely,” says our analytics expert at iQlance Solutions. “The new model allows for more accurate tracking of user behavior and provides better insights into how users interact with your website or app.”
The new Google Analytics Account Structure
GA4 also introduces a new account structure that simplifies the management of multiple properties and data streams. The new form includes the following components:
- Accounts: A top-level container for your organization’s properties and data streams.
- Properties: A website, mobile app, or other digital assets that you want to track.
- Data streams: A data source for a specific platform, such as an iOS or Android app.
“At iQlance Solutions, we help our clients set up their GA4 account structure based on their business needs,” says our analytics expert. “We can create multiple properties and data streams under a single account, making managing and analyzing your data easier.”
Advantages of using the GA4 property
Now that we understand the basics of GA4, let’s look at some of the advantages of using it over the previous version. Here are some of the main benefits:
- User-centric approach: GA4 focuses on user behavior rather than session behavior. It tracks users across devices, channels, and platforms and provides a complete view of the customer journey. This lets you better understand your audience and make data-driven decisions to improve user experience.
- Event + Parameter measurement model: GA4 uses an event-driven approach to tracking user behavior. This means that instead of monitoring page views and sessions, it tracks user interactions such as clicks, video plays, and form submissions. You can also attach additional data to these events, called parameters, which provide more context about the event. This allows you to measure more accurately and better understand user behavior.
- Simplified data collection: GA4 makes it easier to collect and manage data. You can set up data streams to automatically collect data from multiple sources, such as websites, apps, and offline data. You can also customize your data collection using tags and triggers. This simplifies the process of collecting data and allows you to focus on analyzing it.
- Machine learning capabilities: GA4 has advanced machine learning capabilities that provide valuable insights and predictions about user behavior. It uses AI to identify patterns and trends in your data and provides recommendations on improving user experience. This saves time and effort and allows you to make data-driven decisions quickly.
- Integration with Google Ads: GA4 seamlessly integrates with Google Ads and allows you to measure the impact of your advertising campaigns on user behavior. This helps you optimize your campaigns and get better ROI on your advertising spend.
Changing GA4 property settings
Once you have set up a GA4 property, you may need to change its settings. Here are some of the settings you can customize:
- Property settings: You can customize the basic settings of your GA4 property, such as the property name, default URL, and default time zone. You can also set up data sharing and user permissions.
- Data streams: You can set up data streams to automatically collect data from various sources such as websites, apps, and offline data. You can customize data collection using tags and triggers.
- Events: You can define custom events and parameters to track user behavior on your website or app. You can also set up conversion tracking to measure the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns.
- Integrations: You can integrate your GA4 property with other Google products such as Google Ads, Google BigQuery, and Google Optimize. This allows you to get more insights and improve your marketing campaigns.
GA4 Demo Properties
In addition to the new features and capabilities, Google offers GA4 demo properties that allow users to explore and experiment with the latest measurement model without affecting their existing properties. These demo properties include sample data and preconfigured reports, making it easier for users to get started with GA4.
Introduction to Data Streams
One of the significant changes in GA4 is the concept of data streams. In previous versions of Google Analytics, tracking codes were used to collect data from a website or app and send it to a single property. However, with GA4, data streams are used to collect data from different sources, including websites, apps, and other digital devices.
Each data stream in GA4 has its own unique ID and is associated with a specific data source. This allows users to track and analyze data from different sources in a single location, providing a more comprehensive view of their digital ecosystem.
How Many GA4 Properties Do You Need?
The number of GA4 properties required depends on the size and complexity of your digital ecosystem. A single GA4 property with multiple data streams is sufficient for small businesses with a single website or app. However, for larger enterprises with various websites, apps, and other digital assets, multiple properties may be required to track and analyze data effectively.
Frequently Asked Questions about GA4
1. Can I use GA4 with my existing tracking code?
No, GA4 requires a new tracking code compatible with the latest measurement model. However, users can set up a GA4 property alongside their existing Universal Analytics property to track and analyze data using both models.
2. How does GA4 differ from Universal Analytics?
GA4 uses a new event-based measurement model focusing on user interactions with a website or app, providing a more comprehensive view of user behavior. In contrast, Universal Analytics uses a pageview-based model primarily focusing on pageviews and sessions.
3. Can I use GA4 for mobile app tracking?
Yes, GA4 includes enhanced app tracking capabilities that allow users to track and analyze user behavior within mobile apps.
In conclusion, GA4 is a significant upgrade to Google Analytics, providing users with advanced tracking and analysis capabilities. The new event-based measurement model and data streams allow users to track and analyze user behavior across different digital assets, providing a more comprehensive view of their digital ecosystem.
As an expert in digital marketing and analytics, iQlance Solutions is well-equipped to help businesses transition to GA4 or SEO Halifax. Our team of certified Google Analytics professionals can provide expert guidance and support to ensure that your business can take advantage of the advanced features and capabilities offered by GA4.
As our CEO stated, “We are excited to help our clients adopt the new GA4 measurement model and take their digital analytics to the next level.” “With our extensive experience in digital marketing and analytics, we are confident that we can help our clients achieve their business goals with GA4.”
At iQlance Solutions, we are committed to providing our clients with cutting-edge digital solutions that help them stay ahead of the competition. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help your business succeed with GA4.