Nighthawk routers are the best networking devices. It provides blazing-fast internet to its users to access on their multiple devices (when connected). But, have you ever thought to improve the performance of your Nighthawk router? No? Well, it’s time to think about. Updating router’s firmware manually or using the Nighthawk app not only improves its performance and efficiency but also adds new security features.
Want to know how to do Nighthawk router firmware update? Continue reading this post to find out!
Perform Nighthawk Router Firmware Update
Here are the instructions to perform Nighthawk router firmware update manually:
Step 1: Power up Nighthawk Router
Start the Nighthawk router firmware update process by powering up your Nighthawk router. To avoid any power-related issues, make sure you plug your Nighthawk router in properly. Apart from plugging in the Nighthawk router, see the LEDs on it. Ensure that they all are in green color and this can only happen if you choose a working wall socket for it.
Step 2: Turn on Your Desktop
The next step in our post is to turn on a desktop and launch a web browser of your choice. To prevent any browser-related issues, make sure that the browser you have chosen is running an updated version. In case the web browser version got outdated, update it now.
Besides, it is also suggested to clear the browser’s cache, cookies, junk files, and browsing history.
Note: Laptop can also be used to perform Nighthawk router firmware update process.
Step 3: Access Netgear Router Login Page
To access Netgear router login page, you have to type router’s default IP, 192.168.1.1 or web address, routerlogin.net in the browser’s URL bar and press Enter to continue.
You Are All Done!
- Nighthawk’s router login screen displays.
- Over here, please enter the router’s username and password very carefully in the empty fields and click Log In.
Note: Turn off the caps lock key. The router’s username and password are case-sensitive.
- The Nighthawk router’s BASIC Home screen or dashboard displays.
- Reaching here, locate and select the ADVANCED option, click on Administration, and then search for Router Update. As soon as you see the “router update” option, click on it and then hit “check” button.
- After a couple of minutes, your Netgear Nighthawk router finds new firmware version. If the new firmware version is available,it will display a message asking “you want to download and install it”? Click on “yes”. The router’sfirmware gets downloaded and begins the update process.
A word of caution: To avoid the risk of corrupting the router’s firmware, do not interrupt the process. For instance, do not close the web browser, click any link, load a new page, or turn off the router.
Router Firmware Update via Nighthawk App
Here are the instructions to perform Nighthawk router firmware update via Nighthawk app:
- Open your mobile device. Connect the device to your home WiFi network.
- Download and launch the Nighthawk app.
- Enter your router’s admin name and password. Keep in mind, the router’s username and password are case-sensitive. So, don’t forget to turn off the caps lock key.
By any chance, if you forgot router’s admin details, get them back using the password recovery feature. The Nighthawk router’s password recovery feature is easily accessible via routerlogin.net.
- Tap on Sign In.
- The router’s dashboard displays.
- If prompted, provide your router’s model number.
- Now, on the settings page of your Netgear Nighthawk router, scroll down a little, and tap on “Check For Updates”.
- If new firmware is available to update for your Netgear Nighthawk router, tap on Update.
Warning: Once you tap the Update button, do not try to go online, turn off your router, or do anything else to the router or your mobile device until it (Nighthawk device) finishes restarting.
The firmware update process will begin.As soon as the firmware update process gets completed, your router will restart. The Nighthawk router firmware update process can take some time. So, please remain calm and have patience.
After following the instructions provided in this article, you will be able to perform Nighthawk router firmware update process without any hassle. We hope that the latest firmware update has improved the performance of your Netgear Nighthawk router.