There’s always a chance to reassess your hair care routine, whether you’re starting your natural hair journey or looking to switch things up. With coily hair, it’s especially important to be mindful of how you wash, style, and protect your strands. To keep your curls looking shiny and feeling soft, it’s crucial to choose the right products and avoid practices that can harm your hair, such as using rough towels for drying. If you have coily hair that’s prone to dryness and frizz, it’s important to be aware of some common haircare mistakes. By taking note of these tips and giving your curls the attention they need, you can keep them healthy and beautiful.
What is Coily Hair?
Coily hair falls into the 4A to 4C category, while curls and waves are 3A-3C and 2A-2C, respectively. To be more specific, 4A hair types have small, S-shaped spirals, while 4B and 4C coily hair have sharper angles with a Z-shaped or zigzag pattern. Among the curl types, 4C is the most fragile and tightest.
Coily Hair vs Curly Hair
So, what sets coils apart from curls and waves? Coils have the tightest curl pattern, with a corkscrew shape that makes it challenging for moisture to penetrate, leading to increased dryness and breakage compared to curls and waves.
When it comes to coily hair vs kinky hair, the latter has tighter and well-defined twists, while coily hair has comparatively loose twists. It’s crucial to understand these differences to properly care for coily hair.
6 Hacks to Revive Coily Hair Texture
1. Have A Proper Wash Routine
In order to achieve soft and healthy coily hair, it is crucial to find and follow the right wash routine. Kinky coily natural hair has a dry, spongy texture, which can be either coarse and wiry or soft and fine. There are some general tips that can work well for all coily hair types:
- Use hydrating shampoos and conditioners: Look for ingredients such as aloe, glycerin, and honey, and avoid products that contain sulfates, silicons, and mineral oils as they can cause breakage, impede hair growth, and further dryness. Additionally, some alcohols, such as ethanol, propyl, propanol, and isopropyl, can be harmful to coily hair.
- Consider co-washing: Co-washing is a method of cleaning the scalp without stripping away natural oils. This may be a better option for some.
- Deep condition your hair: A deep conditioner is a great way to restore moisture to dry strands. Look for ingredients such as coconut oil, honey, and cocoa butter. After shampooing (or co-washing), apply the deep conditioner, leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour, and then rinse. The frequency of washing may depend on how much sweat, dust, or product buildup you accumulate. On average, people may choose to wash their hair once or twice a week.
2. Have a Styling Regimen
- To maintain healthy coils, it’s essential to have a proper washing routine and a styling regimen that works for you. Moisture is key to healthy coils, and using moisturizing products is crucial. A spray bottle can come in handy to spritz your coils in between products or whenever your hair feels slightly dry. Wet hair retains moisture better and is easier to detangle, which helps prevent split ends and breakage.
- To achieve your desired style begin with a leave-in conditioner after washing your hair. Use a leave-in conditioner that is heavy in moisture, detangle your hair using your fingers or a wide-toothed comb, and start at the bottom and work your way up to prevent tangling.
- French Argan oil repairs and protects your hair strands. Sealing in moisture with oils helps reduce moisture depletion, prevents dryness, and reduces frizz.
- If you need a stronger hold, gel is an alternative to styling cream or butter. Gel is perfect for scrunching the ends for a well-defined look, while cream is great for twisting.
- Finally, consider air-drying your coils. Hot tools weaken hair bonds and cause damage. If you must use heat, use a diffuser on the lowest and coolest setting.
3. Go for Protective Styling
- For those with 4C hair, protective hairstyles can offer a practical solution by shielding against external elements such as the sun, wind, humidity, pollution, and frequent styling, while also safeguarding delicate ends. Bantu knots, spring twist out, cornrows, and twist-outs are all protective hairstyles worth considering, as they can give your curls a much-needed break and promote overall hair health. While twist-outs are a commonly used style, it’s advisable to explore a variety of natural hairstyles for 4C hair to discover the one that suits you best.
4. Invest in a Night Routine
Moving your head around during sleep can cause breakage. In order to avoid frizz, it’s necessary to adjust your bedtime habits. It’s good to use silk or satin materials for your pillowcases. If wrapping your hair before bed is inconvenient, try a hairstyle that is suitable for sleeping comfortably.
5. Apply Protein Treatment
It can be a task to restore curly hair, as the strands lose necessary nutrients due to the twists. Our hair is made up of protein, and therefore, it is important to restore the same. This can be done by doing a protein treatment every month or two. You can use natural hair masks to do so or simply buy a protein treatment.
6. Avoid Using Heat Styling Tools
Many women use heat styling tools to style their hair as per their desire. Using these tools frequently can severely damage your hair, as they strip off the important nutrients from the strands. If possible, avoid using heat styling tools as much as possible.
If you want to style your hair using the tools, make sure you are not using them frequently. Also, you can opt for hair protectants to reduce the effects of the tools on your hair. Another effective option is to choose hair extensions. You can wear human hair extensions and wigs that can be easily styled.
Curly coily hair has been under the spotlight for long now. A lot of women are taking up this hairstyle, as it gives you a unique and chic look. However, this hair texture also needs a lot of care, as the strands are prone to lose the necessary nutrients easily due to the twists. Check out the 6 cool hacks mentioned in the blog and revive this gorgeous texture effortlessly!
Check out Indique hair store, the brand offers excellent quality human hair extensions and wigs at the best prices. Visit the website today!