Intuit updates QuickBooks every year to give users more control and flexibility. What if there are QuickBooks update errors when updating QuickBooks? We have the solution. We will explain what causes this error and how to fix it.
When you download the latest updates to QuickBooks Desktop or upgrade from an earlier version of Intuit, errors may occur. Sometimes these errors can prevent your software from being updated. The new features are not installed. It does not appear with any specific error message.
QuickBooks Update Errors: Why Do they occur?
The QuickBooks update error is not caused by any specific reason. There are many reasons it can occur. We have listed some possible causes.
- An error in QuickBooks updating is often caused by poor internet connectivity.
- You can restrict your personal firewall and internet security settings.
- Multiple instances of QuickBooks can be installed on one computer.
- Incorrect date and/or time in the system
Solutions to fix Update Errors in QuickBooks
It is not difficult to fix QuickBooks update errors. If you understand the cause, it is easy to fix. We have provided some solutions to help you fix the problem. Before you do anything, determine the cause of the update error.
Solution 1: Verify the System Date and Time in your Computer
Sometimes incorrect dates or times can cause problems with the QuickBooks Desktop update. These must be changed immediately. These steps will allow you to modify the date and time.
- Look in the right-hand corner of the screen for the system clock. Right-click on it.
- Click on the Adjust Date/Time button.
- To modify the current time, click on the “Change date and/or time” button.
- Double-click OK to confirm.
- Now, open QuickBooks Desktop.
- For one more run of the QuickBooks Desktop Update,
Solution 2: Verify the Internet Connection Settings
To verify that your internet connection is working, open a web browser and go to chase banking. Contact your internet service provider if the page or web browser does not work. If the Chase Banking page opens but you are unable to update your QuickBooks, then please follow the steps in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to the Help menu and click on Internet Connection Setup.
- The next step is to select “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings while this application connects to the Internet.”
Internet Connection Setup in QuickBooks Desktop
- Click the “Next” option.
- Also, visit the “Advanced Connection Settings” option.
- Select “Restore Advanced Settings” under the “Advanced” tab.
Advanced Settings Restored
- Click “OK” and then click “Done”.
- Try again to update QuickBooks.
- Make sure the ‘Download Accelerator’ is turned off before downloading the QuickBooks update. The download accelerator can interfere with the downloading process most of the time. To learn more, contact your ISP.
- Make sure your dial-up connection speed is at least 28.8 Kb/s
- Make sure the Parental Controls settings have been disabled if you use AOL.
Solution 3: Verify Third-Party Application Settings
Third-party apps block most of the time the connection between QuickBooks and the firewall. Users can’t update QuickBooks because of the firewall connection blockage.
Verify that the firewall and internet security settings are correct for QuickBooks. We have provided the procedure for creating a new rule for inbound and outbound. Please follow these steps.
- Go to the Windows Start Menu.
- Click on “Open” after typing “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” in the search bar.
- Click on the “Port Monitor” tab.
- Keep the port number for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to the Windows Start Menu.
- In the search bar, type “Windows Firewall” and click on the link to open “Windows Firewall”.
- Click on “Advanced Settings” and then “Inbound Rules”.
- Click on the “New Rule” option.
QuickBooks introduces a new Inbound Rule
- Click on ‘Program’ and select ‘Next’. Next, click on ‘This Program Path.
- Browse the executable files and click the “Next” option.
- After establishing the connection, click on the “Next” option.
- Double-check that all files have been marked and then click the “Next” option to continue.
- Create a rule, and name it ‘QBFirewallException(name.exe)’.
- The same steps apply to Outbound Rules. In the third step, you will need to choose ‘Outbound Rules” instead of Inbound Rules.
Make sure Ports 80 & 443 are enabled and that you have access to the following files.
Notice: If any of these ports are being used by other processes, then a failback port (56719) would be used to connect to the QuickBooks Database server.
Because of the complexity of firewall software, Intuit cannot provide support for firewall settings. The firewall manufacturer can help you configure your firewall and then discuss the problem with the system administrator.
Solution 4: Make sure you are aware of the multiple instances of QuickBooks Desktop
You will experience an update error in QuickBooks if you have multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop installed on the same computer.
If you have both QuickBooks Desktop Premier Plus and QuickBooks Enterprise 22.0 installed on the same computer, then you will not be able to update QuickBooks. You will need to manually update QuickBooks in this situation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
What is the time frame for updating QuickBooks?
It takes QuickBooks approximately 1 hour to update, set up, and run. It may take longer to update the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise version. It is best to update QuickBooks on the weekend, so your work won’t be affected.
What do I need to do to update QuickBooks?
You can decide whether to update QuickBooks. It is always a good idea to keep QuickBooks up-to-date. Every update to QuickBooks brings new features. Every update will bring you new features that will make it easier to manage your accounting with QuickBooks.
What is the cost of updating QuickBooks?
Updates are free in QuickBooks. However, you will need to pay for any upgrades to QuickBooks. Every upgrade comes with its own set of costs.
Is QuickBooks Online able to automatically update?
Intuit automatically updates QuickBooks Online whenever there are any changes made to QuickBooks Online. There is no need to manually update QuickBooks Online.