“To urge that government to conclude a democratic peace is like preaching virtue to brothel keepers.” VI Lenin
“The attempt to solve the Jewish question through the migration of Jews to Palestine can now be seen for what it is, a tragic mockery of the Jewish people…The future development of military events may well transform Palestine into a bloody trap for several hundred thousand Jews. Never was it so clear as it is today that the salvation of the Jewish people is bound up inseparably with the overthrow of the capitalist system.” Leon Trotsky
introduction: Provided below are some links regarding the recent attack on Gaza by Israel. Notice we don’t call it a war. To call it such plays into the central theme of the capitalist media and the US government generally that there is some equivalency fo violence between Hamas-led Gaza and Israel. The casualty rates alone should dispel this mythology. 161 Palestinians dead and 5 Israelis dead. That’s a kill ratio of more than 32 to 1.
Recently we posted some links on Palestine, the class nature of Israel and the roots of the conflict. We begin by saying that the right of return and the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination, free from Israeli attacks and occupation, should be our first concern. The democratic rights of the Palestinian people have been savagely violated since the inception of the Zionist state. land has been stolen, crops, homes and lives destroyed. The Zionist state is a colonial settler project that has served the interests of US imperialism in the Middle East and elsewhere.
In negotiating the ceasefire, the US has tried to portray itself as an impartial mediator. The truth is that the US has never been “impartial” in this situation. The ruling class parties in the US, both Democrats and Republicans, have proved themselves staunch supporters of Israel and have, time and again, violated the rights of the Palestinian people. The actions of the racist apartheid state would not be possible without the financial, political and diplomatic support of the US imperialist ruling class.
- More than 10 times as many Palestinian children as Israeli children have been killed since 2000.
- More than 4 times as many Palestinian civilians as Israeli civilians have been killed since 2000.
- Israel holds over 5000 Palestinian political prisoners; Palestine holds 0 Israeli prisoners.
- 25000 Palestinian homes have been demolished since 1967.
- Israel maintains over 200 illegal settlements in the West Bank.
- The US gives Israel $3 billion annually in military assistance.
- Israel is the most heavily militarised country in the whole world; more heavily militarised than Saudi Arabia, North Korea and Iran.
- Palestinian “citizens” of Israel face systematic discrimination and the status of second class citizen.
- There is a virtual embargo on Gaza, Gaza has no army, no airforce, no navy.
- Gaza is the most densely populated place in the world. Gaza is essentially an open air prison.
- ZERO Israelis were killed by rockets in 2010. THREE Israelis were killed by rockets in 2011. ZERO Israelis were killed by rockets in 2012. In EIGHT years, TWENTY Israelis have been killed by rockets.
- During Operation Cast Lead in 2008-9 alone, 1400 Palestinians were killed.
Lift the siege of Gaza!
End all US aid to Israel Now!
Boycott Israeli Apartheid!
Full democratic rights and equality for Palestinians in Israel!
For the right to return!
Stop illegal settlements and settler attacks on Palestinians in the occupied territories!
For a democratic secular Palestine with equal rights for all from the river to the sea!
Disconnecting the Dots on Israel-Palestine: Is Apartheid Only A Crime When Committed Against Blacks? Bruce A. Dixon, Black Agenda Report
Freedom Rider: American Guilt in Gaza Margaret Kimberly, BAR
Taking a side on Palestine Socialist Worker
Obama provides key support for Gaza attack Socialist Worker
Israeli minister vows Palestinian ‘holocaust’ Telegraph UK